Monday, April 21, 2014

Lavender Growing in the Philippines: 6th Month Update and How to Grow Lavender from Cuttings

From 42 a month ago, I now have just 24 left including the one which I was trying to grow from cuttings. It is pretty scary seeing them turn brown one after the other. And it's not just the ones that I put in full shade that are dying, even the ones in partial shade. But if I'll be successful growing them from cuttings, I should be able to grow back the same number of lavender I lost.

I know that rain during summer will definitely kill them but I left them in the rain when it rained last month. But if I didn't how will I know for myself?

 Anyway, here's how you can propagate lavender from cuttings in case you decide to buy a mature plant and not start them from seeds:

1) Cut a stem as close to the main branch as possible. Use a very sharp pair of scissors or secateurs.


2) Peel the bottom part around 2 inches from the base.





3) Pop it in some well draining soil.


Water them heavily at the base and keep them moist for a few weeks. At around a month, water them lightly as you would any lavender plant. It wouldn't hurt to fertilize at around a month. I use Manusol Growth Fertilizer 30-10-10 to encourage strong growth of leaves, roots and stem. I use a tablespoon of this fertilizer for 8 liters of water. I usually fertilize once a month or every other month depending on the state of the plants.

I did this three days ago and my cutting is still alive. I will let you know how it'll all go in my next update in a month.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

First, i commend you for your patience and resilence for growing lavender from seeds. But like any other herbs that i have, i prefer the mother plant to start with. Can I ask where exactly from SM Makati you bought your lavender?

Anonymous said...

Hi! I recentlt bought mine in Quezon City circle at 35/each